Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I tend to not read other people's reviews of books until I am done because I have realized other people tend to suck (at least in terms of guessing what my opinion of a book will be). I loved and hated this book all at the same time within the same breath. I liked the resolution, I liked the strength in all the characters but most of all I liked that the female protagonist thought for herself. She, like most of us, listened to what everyone had to say and then did it her way- sometimes this was good, other times not so much. It truly showed Katniss's humanity, and helped me to relate to her.

But let me tell you I will NEVER get over Finnick's death, ever. I honestly believe I will not be able to see the movie version due to his death, I am that distraught. I can understand Prim's death, it brought a wholeness to the story and played well into the reasons Katniss acted as she did. Finnick, on the other hand, I loved that boy and I am not sure I can forgive his death.

Am I glad I read these? Yes, I am. I think they are well done and introduce a generation to the true horrors that are present in this world in a way that they can understand. Plus I did enjoy the entertainment value. However, I am traumatized a bit by the violence and death of possibly my favorite character. I still think it's good, though I am not sure I would ever be able to reread it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment