Saturday, August 27, 2011

Love You More: The Divine Surprise of Adopting My DaughterLove You More: The Divine Surprise of Adopting My Daughter by Jennifer Grant

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I come at this book from a very different perspective than most- I am not an adoptive parent, instead I am a birthmother. I am also a social worker with experience in the foster care system in this country. This is a unique and sometimes perilous point of view to have when starting single sotry point of view novels. I am not sure what I was expecting when I started this book but it was a lovely family story. I enjoyed getting to hear the perspective of an adoptive mother, especially one who is going through an international adoption, which is an area I know little to nothing about.

Now for the nitty gritty part. This story seems more like someone is telling you what happened, not that you are reading it. One paragraph does not always lead to the next and sometimes there are side stories I do not know why they are included. The writing was not difficult to understand but the story structure could be at times. I would have much preferred a chronological narrative not one that jumped from place to place. I believe this book was very cathartic for Jennifer Grant but I am not sure I got the point of sending it out to the general public.

Overall, it was a nice story but nothing I would recommend to the general populous. I am not sure it even really would open people's eyes to international adoption. It's cute but nothing superb.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment